Saturday, May 10, 2008

The freestyle top-down femme tee

I wrote plenty on this piece in my project notes, but a bit of a retrospective might not hurt.

This was my first project in a fibre that wasn't animal based since I started to knit seriously. I love the yarn. I adore the yarn. I praise this yarn to the skies. It's so very soft - something that turned me off cotton was the rough feel of cotton.

To knit it at first, my right hand got sore. But I set it down and worked with sproingier wool when I knew I had to stop knitting but didn't want to stop knitting. I think I will always have a sproingy project going at the same time as knitting something with cotton or...*gulp* linen.

I started this from the top down, in the round. It is one piece. I did not break the yarn anywhere on this project.

I used stitch markers to keep track of where my shaping was at. I kept four markers on this project, though their positions changed.

The noticeable bust shaping on this piece, it is joyfully deliberate. It's done specifically to draw the eye. It's my adaptation of a popular in the late 50's and early 60's bust darting, where the seam was definitely part of the point. the darts are in a V shape, meant to give the visual effect of more bustiness and to play on the fact that my overbust measurement doesn't have as much difference to the full bust measurement as my midriff to full bust measure does. And the visual effect works. *evil cackle*

The waist to hip increases are *not* where one would expect. instead of being at the center side, the shaping goes over the hipbones. The other good place would be at the back, where skirt darts would accommodate the buttocks. since I was looking to create a visual hourglass, I went with the increases at the hipbones, to emphasize the flaring from waist to hip. the curving is something I would really exploit in a ribbed/cabled style, and that's something I may do in a future design.

No comments: